What is the life span of LED landscape lights?
In case you haven’t noticed, LED landscape lighting has become one of the most popular home improvement projects over the past several years. Lighting fixtures not only improve the appearance of your landscape but also offer additional safety and security, help you save money, and are a great way to lower your carbon footprint.
As we’ve covered in the past, LED lights have a long-life expectancy due to decreased energy usage. But what exactly is this life expectancy, and are there any factors that can reduce how many hours you may expect them to last? Let’s look at what you can expect from an LED lifespan, how this lifespan could be affected, and other benefits of LED landscape lighting.
LED Lifespan Per the Manufacturer
Incandescent bulbs spent many years as the dominant way to light rooms and other areas. These days, LEDs and other types of bulbs have taken over because their lifespans are much greater. Although manufacturers will state that an LED bulb’s life expectancy is as high as 100,000 hours, the average is around half that. This is still extremely long because an incandescent bulb, in comparison, will only last around 1,000 hours.
LED Lifespan Connected to Its Use
Like many electronic elements, LED light bulbs need to be used in certain conditions to get the most use out of them. Whether the LED bulbs used in your home’s landscape lighting reach the average of 50,000 hours or can reach the maximum depends on their usage. The good news is that even if you only reach the minimum life expectancy, this is still much higher than many people have been accustomed to over the past several decades.
Intense Heat May Lower Lifespan
Aside from their lower energy usage, one of the greatest benefits of LED lights is that they operate very well in cold temperatures. Whereas this won’t lower the lifespan of LED bulbs, the same isn’t true with intense heat. These bulbs are designed to be operated at a room temperature of between 65 and 80°, but they’re best when kept below 75°. When higher temperatures are involved, the heat accelerates the degradation rate of the LED diodes.
Higher Currents May Lower Lifespan
As you may or may not be aware, electrical current refers to the rate at which electricity flows into a circuit. Every type of electrical device – including LED lights – has a proper operational range to help maintain optimal performance.
Although LED lights won’t be damaged by a lower electrical current, a current that’s too high will use more energy than is recommended, which will reduce each bulb’s lifespan. In certain situations, this may also cause the light fixture itself and the LED circuit to overheat and burn out.
LED Lights May Be Under Warranty
Like other electrical items, LED lights are often covered by some type of limited warranty. If an LED bulb burns out, be sure that you check the manufacturer’s warranty or guarantee. If a bulb burns out during the timeframe that’s given by the manufacturer, contact them and see if you can get it replaced free of charge. Whether, if this is helpful, will depend on your particular situation, because the failure of a single bulb may not be worth the time and – pardon the pun – energy required.
Other Benefits of Using LED Lights
Many homeowners and business owners have already switched to LED products for everyday use. A much higher lifespan is one reason for this, because it’s simply a lot more convenient when you don’t have to switch out bulbs regularly.
Here are some other benefits of LED landscape lighting that may also convince you to make the switch:
- Lower Energy Usage — Many homeowners will see lower energy usage as the most attractive benefit to making the switch to LED lights. If you’re looking for a way to lower your carbon footprint, this is an easy, inexpensive method.
- No Chemical Leakage — Certain types of light bulbs contain chemicals that can leak out if they break. LED lights don’t contain any hazardous materials, so this isn’t something you need to worry about.
- Operates in the Cold — LED lights are well-known for their ability to continue operating very well in extremely cold temperatures. Their light output may be affected, but the reduction will be negligible.
- Emits Almost No Heat — Anyone who’s ever touched a traditional light bulb knows that the outside gets very hot. LED lights emit almost no heat, which means they’re always safe to the touch and for the environment.
- Design Flexibility — LED lights are very small and can be arranged in a wide variety of patterns. If you’re trying to achieve a specific aesthetic or want your landscape lighting to look unique, this is the lighting option to go with.
- Emits Light at 360° — Many conventional bulbs emit illumination at 360° around the light source. LED lights, on the other hand, focus on 180°, which means that illumination can be focused on specific areas.
Contact Elegant Accents to Optimize LED Lifespan
Elegant Accents offers the highest quality outdoor landscape lighting in Tampa and the surrounding areas. Our LED lighting systems can be fully demoed, so you can install fixtures with the utmost confidence. If you have any questions about our services or products, reach out to our lighting experts by calling (813) 629-2228 today to schedule a lighting consultation.